[SEL] More Engine Trailer/RV Stuff

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 11:54:58 PST 2011

We are down on the South Coast for a few days, overseeing the final
assembly of the new trailer chassis before we hook up and tow it back
up to the shot blasters and the powder coaters. The shot blast and
Zinc spray will probably be done outside, as it is 21ft long, but the
powder coaters have an 8metre oven so can get it inside OK.

You can look at the last two days worth of pictures here:

Picture of the one of the drawbar pivot bushes after TIG welding.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/images/uploaded/DBtrailer96.jpg

Drawbar Pivot bracket ends, tack-welded in place.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/images/uploaded/DBtrailer97.jpg

Putting the drawbar together.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/images/uploaded/DBtrailer98.jpg

Mitred joint just before welding. Dave used TIG on the fine edge and
MIG on the heavy sections.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/images/uploaded/DBtrailer99.jpg

Front axle mounting frame and pivot pin lower housing.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/images/uploaded/DBtrailer100.jpg

Quick check assembly of the steering axle mounting frame and the drawbar.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/images/uploaded/DBtrailer101.jpg

Front axle (inverted) on the support frame.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/images/uploaded/DBtrailer102.jpg

Bit of a problem with one bolt and nut! Too close to the axle beam.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/images/uploaded/DBtrailer103.jpg

Finished drawbar.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/images/uploaded/DBtrailer104.jpg

Quick and dirty solution to the clearance issue!
http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/images/uploaded/DBtrailer105.jpg

Drawbar and front steering axle support frame coupled up.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/images/uploaded/DBtrailer106.jpg

Lockwire tags for the main pivot pin retaining bolt.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBTrailer112.jpg

Main chassis legs, front 1/3.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBTrailer113.jpg

Gusset across the step in the frame, covers two mitred and welded joints.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBTrailer114.jpg

Looking back, starting to realise how long this is!
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBTrailer115.jpg

Big Dave working on the underside of the front part. (Chassis is inverted)
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBTrailer116.jpg

One of the four support sections under the floor that carry the weight
of the engine & trolley.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBTrailer117.jpg

Under the front again, pivot bearing support to the right.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBTrailer118.jpg

Big Dave moving the inverted chassis before we flipped it over.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBTrailer119.jpg

Coming back into the workshop, right way up. Weather gorgeous for two days.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBTrailer120.jpg

Big Dave, extreme left, Dave Ashdown in blue coat, Philip Forbes
behind Dave, with red welding helmet on, discussing getting the rest
of the welding runs finished tonight.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBTrailer121.jpg

Philip getting ready to start welding, our MIG welder and full-size
cylinder of gas mix in the centre. Big Dave on the left. They got all
of the topside welded up in about 20 minutes.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBTrailer122.jpg

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes