[SEL] Zolfo, The Galloway and Jim Dunmyer

Dave Rotigel rotigel at me.com
Sun Mar 6 18:48:23 PST 2011

Hi All,
	The 2011 Zolfo show is now history. As usual, it was a GREAT show and all of the organizers did everything they could to make it a great time for all of us who exhibited!
	The 16 HP Galloway started the first time over on Wed. (the first time it had been run since last year) and continued to run perfectly until Thursday at about 1:00. At that time it simply stopped! It would fire when I tickled the ignitor to start it, but then not fire on it's own. I cleaned the ignitor (several times), tried a half turn on the hammer spring and several other things, but the old gal simply would not fire on her own and I was damned if I was going to stand there and trip the ignitor by hand every other time the piston reached IDC! So I simply enjoyed the rest of Thursday with a totally STATIONARY display!
	Friday morning Jim Dunmyer showed up and he and I talked the sad situation over and he "fiddled" with the ignitor a bit and then asked me to take it off the engine again. I did and Jim gave the points a quick look and suggested that the brass ring (which provides the ground) needed to be rotated 10 degrees (or so) in order to provide a new contact point for the "hot" point. (The ring had been worn [i.e. "burned"?] flat where it provided contact. I looked as though Ted Brookover (or someone) had done the same thing to the ring years ago when he rebuilt the ignitor.) We did so and BINGO--the Galloway started and ran perfectly for the rest of the show! THANKS JIM!
	Dave
PS, Life is good--and even better when you have GOOD friends!