[SEL] Condensation problem in shop

Larry Anger langer5 at xplornet.ca
Tue Jan 18 16:19:40 PST 2011

George - The workshop part of my barn is well insulated and I heat it with a
wood stove most of the time and I do have a radiant gas heater if I want to
keep it heated when away. I find that this part of my barn is worse for
condensation than the rest of my barn. If the shop is left unheated and then
the weather warms up dramatically all my machine tools will be covered in
water as well as the concrete floor. I have exactly the same situation as
you, high humidity and drastic changes in temperature. I have a special
spray on moisture barrier that hardens up somewhat like very thick grease
that I spay on all the machined surfaces of my vertical mill and lathe and
keep them covered with this stuff at all times when I'm not using them.
Other than using heat and dehumidifiers there is not much else you can do. I
find the concrete floor the biggest problem.

Larry Anger