[SEL] Fwd: Crosshead Problems

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 03:06:43 PST 2011

On 21 February 2011 08:43, Gene's Wowway e-mail <gwaugh at wowway.com> wrote:
> I am an engine neophyte, and NOT a machinist, but I wondered about something
> like Peter's suggestion below.
>
> Gene

I spoke with Jim this morning, and we looked at putting a HT cap head
screw through the centre of the assemby to pull the sides together, or
at least to stop them moving apart.

An M12 12.9 grade cap head screw could go in there with an ali plug
pushed in aferwards to hide the hole that would be needed.

We both also agreed that although it was 'unlikely' to fail any time
soon, it was an unknown in terms of running and it would be better to
try and do something in the way of support while the crosshead was off
and the babbitting was being done.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes