[SEL] Fwd: Crosshead Problems

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 23:52:13 PST 2011

On 20 February 2011 22:17, Rupert <rwenig2 at xplornet.com> wrote:
>        My guess is they placed a machined cast iron core (for the shaft) in
> place in the mold prior to closing the mold and then pouring the rest of the
> casting. The core would have to be hot when placed in the mold and the pour
> done before the core had time to cool down. All that would be needed to do
> after the pour is polish the shaft if the molding and casting process was
> done carefully.
>        I've used steel cores for a similar purpose but the casting I poured
> was aluminum.
>
> Rupert

That would be my guess as well. If Jim & Helen could check the
material and grain of the pin, that would possibly help with working
out if it is a separate pice cast in or not.

They might be able to bore through and push a steel pin into the
assembly to stiffen it up, but it looks like you'd be machining
through some of the bearing areas, even with a 1.5" pin.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com