[SEL] WOW-magneto charger

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Sat Apr 2 11:49:45 PDT 2011

Ok Evil one I thinks yer just yanking my chain but I'll play along.
This is going to stretch my understanding a bit but I will do the best I can.

#1 Full strength is relative, depends on what field saturation point
you need for the application. A 850 pound charger will provide a
stronger field, IF its design is in a proper balanced relationship to
Input voltage, coil design and core size. Designed wrong and no it
will not.  Many specifics left out.

#2 Assembly line charging one item right after the other or in large
groups all at once, Is what I mean by working all day long. Some of
the magnet chargers that used to be at Triplett Corporation here in
Bluffton were brutes every bit as large as that Weidenoff and larger.
Table charges actually. They were used just to charge magnets that
you could hold in the palm of your hand. Input voltages adjustable to
suit the field saturation point needed. The magnets on average were
about the diameter of a snuff tin, with others the pee magnet as they
were nicknamed about 3/8" in diameter. Tripletts magnets used cobalt
cores and I think they took one hell of a field to get them to
specified field saturation. The magnets in the Triplett meters had to
be saturated to a certain strength for the meters. The meters have
adjustments to do final calibrations for balancing of the indicator
needle. But thats a different magnet then the ones we have on our engines.

#3 The small chargers you and I have will increase field saturation
some, enough to help but not bring it to the point originally
intended by the magneto manufacturer.

#4 Not sure if we can over charge the magnets on the magnetos we work
with or if overcharging would hurt anything.  But they can be
undercharged and still run the engine relatively fine. Bench testing
the mag will reveal that output voltage is low compared to original
specifications. So the engine may not perform to full potential, just
not enough for us to notice on casual observation.

All this to the best of my understanding and observation.

Mark S.