[SEL] OT-OT- air lines in shop?

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 30 10:37:07 PDT 2010

On 10/29/2010 10:22 PM, jbcast at charter.net wrote:
> I would consider pvc air lines one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my shop. Several times a year we were shut down when a pipe broke because someone pulled on a hose too hard or it got caught on a vehicle or something fell against it. My oldest son replaced it all with iron one summer when he was in college. No problems or lost time since and I feel lucky that no one was hurt with the shrapnel.
> If you can set it up with a rise in the pipe away from the compressor so the moisture drains back, put a tee and drains at the hose connections as mentioned. In a home system moisture won't be as critical becasue it runs less.
> J.B. Castagnos

Good points about installing sloping lines, drains, and outlet points.
Half-inch schedule 40 PVC has worked well on my home shop.  It is
pressure-rated well above what my 60 gallon system puts out.   For
outlets I installed half-inch galvanized pipe from PVC tees and well
secured to joists.  At the compressor I used galvanized with a drain.
The only problem, even after hours of sandblasting, was hot air that let
the PVC bulge near the compressor.  I increased the length of galvanized
to act as a better heat sink and things were fine thereafter.

Bob Holtzer