[SEL] OT! Electrical troubleshoting

P. Johns enginepaul at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 06:00:27 PDT 2010

Sorry, nothing creative here. I have used, and may still have, wire tracers,
but they didn't always work properly for me, but there is usually metal
conduit and such to help interfere.
The worst problem that I had was inside the conduit of a motor circuit. The
wire passed current just fine until it got hot and then blew the fuse; it
turned out to be a soldered splice in the run. In other words, there may not
be a full break, just a 'weak' spot that will show continuity, but not hold
up after a time with current. In my case, it wasn't obvious until I pulled
the wires after hours of trouble shooting.
Maybe a shovel is in order for this job. I side with Bill on this one; how
bad are the other wires? And I'd use the conduit, too.

Paul in California