[SEL] American Beauty

William Olson weolson at wiktel.com
Wed Nov 17 08:38:29 PST 2010

Hi George,

Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 9:39:26 AM, you wrote:

BG> Was in a second hand store this weekend and bought an American
BG> Beauty 300w soldering iron for $3.  Unfortunately it was missing
BG> the tip, but when I plugged it in to test it, it did heat up.  You
BG> can still buy new American Beauty soldering irons and replacement
BG> tips, but the new replacement tip for the 300w one is around $50
BG> plus shipping.  I'm thinking of just taking a piece of 7/8" C100
BG> copper rod and making my own tip.  I know a pure copper tip won't
BG> last as long, but should still work.

BG> Anyone on the list have one of these big soldering irons?  Also
BG> any comments on just using some C100 copper to make a tip?

BG> George

BG> SEL mailing list
BG> SEL at lists.stationary-engine.com

When I was taking my first Radio-Electronics classes at a trade school the
instructor suggested (insisted) that we get an American Beauty 100
watt iron to use. He then instructed us how to maintain the tip, which
was not plated in those days, about 50 years ago. When the tip needed
work, he had us remove the tip and beat the tip to the proper shape
with a hammer on a iron block (anvil), then file it smooth. As the tip
was heating up we would re-tin it with solder as soon as it would melt
the solder. I still have the iron & it still works.
--
Thanks,  William  Olson, Rosevelt, MN                     mailto:weolson at wiktel.com