[SEL] Economy 1 HP fuel mixer needed

DMcDonald jswords at mcn.net
Fri Nov 5 19:01:14 PDT 2010

Dear All

I think I need some help but first some background.

Over 20 years ago I saw some running hit and miss engines working at a
Colorado tractor show and thought it would be fun to have one and watch
it run. So after some looking around I found an auction that was only
about 300 miles away and went and bought a 1.5 hp McCormick Deering M
engine and what I thought was a 3 hp McCormick Deering M but after I got
home I found it was another 1.5 hp.

After some work and buying a fuel pump I had the engine sitting on metal
table. Wait for it…... I tried to start it up. Well, it did start and
there I am holding onto my engine so it does not fall off the table and
break while trying to find the off switch. I guess they did not need one
when it was new. Or more likely when it was new no one would put it on a
table and then start it. After about five minutes of this monster piece
of metal bouncing around the table I got it stopped. The next time I did
have it on the ground to start it.

But I knew I needed someone to teach me some of the basics of these
engines so went to a local tractor collector show and found out who was
the best to learn from. Just wanting to learn how to make them work I
walked up to the gentleman and started to ask questions. I watched as he
worked on getting some engines running, offered to help where I could,
handing holding and helping move things. I had my daughter with me and
it was fun watching but somehow I asked the wrong/right question and he
gave me his engines. Four or five big ones and 10-15 small ones like the
Maytag. It turns out he was retiring from his farm and moving in town
with a son on the other side of Montana and did not want to take the
engines and wanted someone to enjoy his engines. So for a number of
years I took my tractors (IHC from the 1950’s) up to the show and would
haul out engines. I would run the M, picked up a corn sheller and a
flour mill (the engine and flour mill was used for many years in a small
town of Wibaux) so I would have corn on the cob that people could shell
and then make corn meal on the spot. It was good.

I slowed down after hurting my back so have not made the show for a
while. But this fall found some auctions close by that had some hit &
miss engines. I got bit with the “bug” again.

I ended up buying a 1 hp Economy Gasoline Engine “Improved Model” sn
SN33709 - (not sure of year or model but the casting has 5-23-13). It is
missing some things and I have found and bought a gas tank and the gas
filler tube and a cart/truck and then started to look for a carburetor.
Did you know that many of these engines do not have carburetors but have
fuel mixers?? Who knew? And why would a small cart be called a truck??

So looking and asking around I found that there might be a J type fuel
mixer for the Economy but also a Luckenheimer fuel mixer was used. I
found one dealer that had one but it was stolen off his table at a show.
So after posting a message on Smoke-stack I was pointed to some ebay
listings. One for a 1 inch RH and one for a ¾ inch RH or LH (not sure)
Luckenheimer. I measured the pipe the mixer would screw into and it was
about 1 inch. Looked at images of RH and LH mixers but how do you know
which was correct. I won the ebay auction and waited until it showed up
in the mail. But like lumber what you ask for and what is measured does
not match!!!! *&^(*&%%$%%^***

I now have a nice 1 inch RH Lunkenheimer but need I am pretty sure a ¾
inch LH Lunkenheimer fuel mixer.

So DOES anyone have a ¾ inch LH Lunkenheimer for sale or know where I
and get one???
Anyone need a nice 1 inch??

Once I have the mixer then I have to figure out how to get the spark???

This is not like the McCormick Deering M at all.

I would love to get this engine running before the new year. Any help
would be greatly appreciated. While I wait I am working on a 2.25 hp
Galloway, John Deere, Whitte and a Grey. All in pieces but it is cold
here in the winter. 

This is a great list and I enjoy reading it every day. I am on digest
mode so will see the emails only once a day.
Later
david

--
David McDonald                  Collector of Japanese Swords and Old Iron
PO Box 265                      WEB page - http://www.montanairon.com
Sidney MT  59270                email - jswords at mcn.net
406-482-3243  evenings          I do tsukamaki (wrapping of sword hilts)

Owner of White IH Cub&  Super A Farmall, IH 100&  130, 140, AC G
McD type M, Monitor, Frost King and other stationary engines.