[SEL] No Spark on John Deere Model E

Jeff Allen cwja at telus.net
Fri Nov 5 13:22:16 PDT 2010

     I am having a terrible time getting a spark at my ignitor from my
magneto on my John Deere 1 1/2 Model E Stationary Engine. I have totally
cleaned the mag (actually I have the same problem with another identical
JD Magneto), put in new carbon brushes, cleaned the bearings, and still
I cannot get the engine to run. I have followed the instructions in my
manual for timing the ignitor and timing the magneto, matching the marks
on the gears very carefully. The engine has fine compression, cleaned up
the valves which are in great shape, new fuel tank and needle valve
(lots of fuel when cranked). I have changed out three different ignitors
that I have and the points are bright metal after cleaning and the
points snap quickly. They whole engine turns easily through good
compression. I have pressed the  "L" pin into the detent before mounting
the magneto, matching the marks on the gears.
     I have switched the horseshoe magnet between the two magnetos and
still no juice. The magnets have about 1/4 pound of pull when I remove
the keeper ( I kept them on the anvil of my bench vice as a keeper). Do
these magnets go dead often and need to be re-charged?  For most cases I
am very familiar with these old engines and generally don't have trouble
getting them started. I have a good number of engines but this is my
first ignitor project; I have mostly WICO magnetos on my flywheel
engines and have had no trouble cleaning and refurbishing them. This is
my first try with a JD and I thought because of the general good
condition of the engine it would be quite simple to start. Live and
learn. Any ideas would be welcome even if they make me look silly by
being obvious.
--
Jeff & Marja Allen Edmonton, Alberta, Canada