[SEL] 8hp Blackstone/cast engine plate

Rupert rwenig2 at xplornet.com
Wed May 26 07:37:02 PDT 2010

Hello Jerry,
	I've used the old hand method of making and engraving in the past. I
use Autocad 2000 now to create the drawing in DXF format. Then import
the DXF file into Sheetcam to get the Gcode, Notepad to edit the code
(if necessary) and then load the code into Mach3 to control a CNC router
table I built last year.
	In this case, I would load the image into Autocad and trace the
outlines into different layers. I bought PhotoVcarve recently which I
think will remove some steps as I think it will go directly from the
image to outputting the Gcode. PhotoVcarve is new to me so I'm still
learning it.
	I would use the CNC to cut several wood patterns and then mount them on
a pattern board if there is any likelihood of more than one casting
needed. I would then use the pattern board to make a sand mold using an
oil base sand (petrobond). That is, if the casting is thick enough to
use the sand casting method. Another way is to use investment casting to
cast the plates. Investment casting works better if the part is too thin
for sand casting.
	Do you have a dimension or two to get the size right?

Rupert
Ps. I will put up a web page on the sand/sodium silicate process as
others have asked the same question. Remind me if I haven't made an
announcement in a few days.

--

yvt

Rupert Wenig