[SEL] Wow ! Quite a find.

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Fri May 21 18:50:21 PDT 2010

> The problem with the bearings is they are replaceable bearings  like automotive inserts but very beefy. The rod itself does not have the babbitt. I'm at a loss as to how to get this engine running without buying new bearings and the odds of finding these bearings I think would be slim to none, I hope I'm wrong though.

For many years the babbitt man in our area was Adam Loupe. He retired from an automitive machine shop and bought the babbitting equipment when he left, considered obsolete by the shop. When I met him he was in his late 80's and still doing work. A customer came into my shop and saw my hobby table with the babbet rods I had poured. He told me he had an import Diesel tractor that developed a knock, no parts available. Someone told him to go see Mr. Loupe. After looking it over Mr. Loupe told him to get the crank gound until it cleared and leave the bearings with hm. He rebabbitted the bearings and machined them to fit the crank. Last I heard the tractor was still running fine. I rebored a tractor block for a club member, he said he was going to have the babbitt re done. I asked who was going to do it, he said Mr. Loupe, he was 95 at the time. I wish I could have managed to spend some time working with him.
J.B. Castagnos
Belle Rose, LA