[SEL] Ruston & Hornsby 1ZHR Running

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon May 10 11:52:56 PDT 2010

On 24 April 2010 20:29, Listerdiesel <listerdiesel at gmail.com> wrote:
> After a few years laying dormant, and a fairly busy last 12 months, we
> had the Ruston running yesterday and today.

We have been experimenting with glow plugs on the Ruston, as the
glowing starters that we get from Ray Hooley are gradually becoming
'rocking horse poo', and the unburnt bits stick in the silencer :-))

We tried a short Onan plug which was well red hot in about 10 seconds.
but couldn't get much out of the engine at all, so went a bit more
modern and found a long-reach glow plug out of the Vauxhall/Opel car
diesel, which puts the tip right on top of the piston and in the way
of the injector discharge.

Knocked up another adaptor tonight (the starter goes into a special
housing which screws into the cylinder head, as per Jerry's picture)
It's a standard 3/4" BSP blanking plug with an M10 X 1.0 thread in to
take the glow plug.

With that in place, both flywheels AND the drive wheel on the engine,
it fired immediately and picked up on the half compression cam, and
really punched away on full whack.

Having a hexagonal bodied adaptor turned up now as a permanent
fitting, the blanking plugs are too large in the hexagon to fit into
the head and we have to run it off on the lather.

I'll get some picture posted asap.

Peter

--
Peter A Forbes