[SEL] Ruston & Hornsby 1ZHR Running

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon May 10 11:45:35 PDT 2010

On 10 May 2010 08:44, Jerry Evans <jerrye at databak.co.za> wrote:
> Hi Arnie,
>         I mentioned it was a long story :-)
>
>         He actually did find 2 Wolseleys as well, complete and running but
> needing some paint. After they had cluttered up his workshop for about a
> year without so much as a wipe clean he loaded them up and delivered them
> here - lost interest.
>
>         I'm waiting for the same to happen to the Ruston !! Only thing is
> that it's not cluttering up his workshop like the Wolseleys were - the
> Ruston is in my mates shed (who is a Ruston expert) where it was sent to
> see what parts were missing etc.
>
>         Maybe I should deliver it back to my bro so that it can get in his
> way a bit and speed up the "waning of interest" thing :-)

The 1XHR, 1YHR and 1ZHR are pretty similar, especially the last two
which are identical apart from injector settings.

The injection pump can probably be sorted out, the injector is pure
Ruston and not used on anything else.

The only other guy I know with a 1HR is John  Ambler, he bought it off
PTFE and I transported it down to his place near Pulborough in Sussex
from Philip's place near Oxford. If John still has it, he may be able
to help with close-up shots of the parts, the pushrod is nothing
special, the air silencer is just a bit of tinware, the oilers and the
other parts are more difficult, but I'll copy this to John and see if
he responds.

We had the flywheels back on ours on the weekend, and today after
painting the rims we had it running. Still bouncy-bouncy but we have
eliminated the flywheels now and have also marked the flywheel rim on
one side to show the point of greatest deflection of the trolley
suspension.

You NEED to get that Ruston 1HR out of your mate's place and into your
workshop, soon!

Once last thing, those pictures illustrate nicely what I was saying
about the width of the crankshaft, I think it is almost the same as
the length of the engine.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes