[SEL] auction

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Mon May 3 17:04:52 PDT 2010

Thanks for all the replies.  And yes, it is a sewing machine that  chain
stitches as in a feed bag. If you look at the top right side of  the photo you
can see a spring mechanism that provides thread tension.   Looking at the
left side on the up and down  rod there are 2 wire loops that the thread
passes thru before  passing thru the needle.  On the underside of the plate
where the needle  passes thru, there is a rotating hook that catches the thread
thus forming the  under part of the chain stitch.

_http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/sew1.jpg_
(http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/sew1.jpg)

I finally found a mfg. tag that was hidden by a removable cover.   It reads:

Tillinghast S.&M. Co.
Salem, Mass
Type T.L.2.F.P.

See photo of tag

_http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/sew4.jpg_
(http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/sew4.jpg)

I have found no information on this company or the "bag closer" yet on the
internet or google patents.

I have sent the information to the Salem Historical Society to enlist their
 help.  Any other help would be appreciated.

Tom  Schmutz
Concord, Va.
germoamer at AOL.com