[SEL] auction

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Sun May 2 06:14:00 PDT 2010

Some kind of antique sewing machine followed me home from an auction
yesterday.  I believe it may have been for burlap bags as it came out of an  old
seed cleaning mill.  So far I have found no markings anywhere on  it.

_http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/sew1.jpg_
(http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/sew1.jpg)

_http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/sew2.jpg_
(http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/sew2.jpg)

_http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/sew3.jpg_
(http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/sew3.jpg)

Sew1 is from the front and shows the foot operated pedal.  On the  right is
some sort of T-handle that may have held the spools of thread.   Not sure
what the cone shape is for on the T-handles other than there is a hole  in
the middle that may have held a bracket to help feed the thread.

Sew2 shows the needle movement mechanism.  The flat wheel on the left
rotates by gears and has small sharp tacks on it that would have held and moved
under the needle what ever was being sewn.  If you look closely behind the
needle you can see one of the small tacks sticking up.  Under the needle
plate is a small rotating finger to catch the thread.

Sew3 looking from right side and shows more of the T-handle and cone shaped
 bracket.

Anybody have any ideas or information on it?

Also, would anybody know why stuff like this follows me  home?

Thanks,

Tom  Schmutz
Concord, Va.
germoamer at AOL.com