[SEL] Podlesak mag

Judge Tommy Turner Lcjudge at scrtc.com
Tue Mar 23 04:53:33 PDT 2010

Mark,
	I don't know if its changed or not but many years ago I had a
friend who is in the construction business.  He was buying a new Cat
dozer and they offered him the opportunity to go to the plant in Peoria,
IL and view the operations.  He could take a couple of friends with him
and he asked me to come along.  It was something to see.  While they
didn't mine the ore the iron came into one end of the plant and the
finished machine came out the other.  Most everything from start to
finish was done there at the plant.  I don't know if this is still the
case or not.  That was before the days of electronic controls on the
machines and I don't know how much of this is done by Cat and how much
is from outside sources.  At the time I asked the tour guide why Cat did
so much of it in house.  He told me it was all about quality control and
the only way Cat could assure the quality they want is by doing it
themselves.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY

Things sure have changed from the days when a company actually made
everything they sold. Now all a "Holding" company owns is the
name brand and distribution rights. And hires everyone else to make
their product.
Gone are the days like with Ford  Motor company when they even owned
the mines the metal ore was mined from, the trucks that hauled it to
the rail yard, the cars on the line, the ships that hauled it to the
smelters and on down the line.   Ford farmed out very little in
comparison to today.  Mark