[SEL] R&V problem

Patrick Livingstone patrick.livingstone at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 02:57:24 PST 2010

The engines have been a little neglected with the wedding getting closer but
I have been doing a little work on the small R&Vs in spare moments.
Tonight I spent some time on the BL 2hp.
I have been working on it off and on for some time but keep getting
discouraged as no matter what I did or what I made a head gasket out of it
would blow almost immediately.
When I first brought the engine home I replaced the ratty head that had been
drilled, plugged and heavily brazed with an immaculate spare one I had on
the shelf. Tonight I pulled out the original head, cleaned it up and put the
valves back in it. The R&V started first pull and the head gasket is holding
well with a few minutes running. Obviously the 'good' head is slightly
warped and will need a little tidying up before I use it again but for now
the R&V is running sweet. I now have four of my six R&Vs running well :) Now
for the other two...

Patrick M Livingstone
Leichhardt NSW
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Index.html