[SEL] My new (old) toy

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 2 15:38:46 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "frank skinner" <marinesurveys at msn.com>
To: "AA_OLD ENGINE" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 9:57 PM
Subject: Re: [SEL] My new (old) toy
>> From: George_Best at adp.com
>> To: sel at lists.stationary-engine.com
>> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:42:22 -0600
>> Subject: [SEL] My new (old) toy
>> Yesterday I bought a 5k lb capacity forklift.
>> For years I've used my Bobcat with pallet forks for moving most of my stuff around, but in the past year have gotten several
>> things which exceeded the Bobcat's capacity.
>> I'm looking forward to be able to get my biggest non-portable engine out into the daylight to run. No more using pipes as rollers
>> to move it around!
>> Unfortunately a heavy piece of machinery I bought a couple years ago may still be too much for the forklift. Should have gotten a
>> 6k capacity one instead! Guess it is like shop size or storage space, you can always use more than you have!
>> George
>> Ps. It's a LP powered Yale with pneumatic tires, sideshift, triple-mast, and 48" forks.

> George;
> you could always try more counter weight, like they do on cranes

>        Franklin S. Skinner

On this subject, me and my friend visited Denmarks first Stationary
Engine collector, Jens Lauritsen many years ago.
As we arrived Jens was trying to move a large 12 HP horizontal engine
in to the museum but the weight was so heavy that it tipped the tractor
that he had attached a fork lift on the back of so the front wheels were off the ground!
He asked us and we obliged to sit astride the engine to get the front wheels down so
he could steer through the museum doorway.
Happy memories!
Dave Croft