[SEL] New FM at Vista Ca.

Jim Kirkes jd.kirkes at verizon.net
Wed Jun 23 12:23:14 PDT 2010

Hi Bruce,

I am part of the team that will be getting it running.  We
have a lot to do before it becomes functional.  some of the
things are;

Remove all of the grout from the leveling screw holes and
clean out the threads.
Level the engine with respect to the generator, this will
take a while as both units total about 50 tons.
Grout the engine and the generator mounts.
Remake all of the nuts that go through the flange that
connect the engine to the generator.  These were torched off
by the riggers that moved the machine.  They also damaged
the bolts these nuts go onto.  Repairing these will be a big
job.
Make a new cooling system from scratch as Edison threw away
the old one years ago.
Plumb this up to air system. The existing air system nay
need additional reservoir capacity in addition to what is
already there.

Probably be some other things that have not surfaced yet.  I
think it will take at least year of weekends to get the
engine running and that may be optomistic.

Jim

Jim and Diane Kirkes
jd.kirkes at verizon.net