[SEL] Ruston 1ZHR

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 09:12:21 PDT 2010

On 23 July 2010 08:01, Listerdiesel <listerdiesel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 July 2010 00:14, Elden <edurand at mchsi.com> wrote:
>> Peter:
>>
>> I wasn't aware that boiling was allowed!  Mark me as wrong!
>>
>> Take care - Elden
>
> Well, I asked the question, haven't had a definitive answer yet.
>
> The 1HR and above was available with hopper cooling, and the petrol
> and petrol/paraffin (kero) engines were as well, up to 10hp, and they
> must run hotter than a diesel.
>
> As soon as I have a definitive answer, I'll get back to you.
>
> Peter

I emailed Ray Hooley, here is his response:

"Hello Peter. I am attaching sections from instruction books for  1.
Hopper-cooled  and  2. Tank-cooled engines.
Engines run more efficiently with hotter water. Hopper-cooled engines
are usually well-attended and so
are designed to reach close-on boiling point and the attendant can top
them up regularly as they lose water by evaporation.  Tank-cooled
engines are usually left for long periods without attention - so they
are designed to run at a lower temperature so that they do not lose
water quickly. If the water level dropped below the inlet-pipe
connection, circulation would stop and the engine could be damaged!!!
I hope that this helps. Best wishes. Ray."

I think that confirms my own feelings, especially about the
temperatures that the other engines run up to without problems.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com