[SEL] My club website/Answers O.T.

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sun Feb 7 11:23:56 PST 2010

At 07:00 PM 07/02/2010, you wrote:
>Message: 3
>Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 19:01:08 -0800 (PST)
>From: Alan <rustaholic777 at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] My club website
>To: The SEL email discussion list <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>
>The only thing?I didn't like about the site is the web address does not
>change
>between the pages. It all happens there.
>All that means is it is hard to copy the link to email someone to send them a
>direct link to that sweet car that is for sale.
>Other than that I really like the site.
>AND, I am here on stupid IE
>
>Alan in Michigan

Hi Alan,Bob, and all,

         First let me answer Alan's question. You are correct Alan that it
only shows the index in the address bar. This is because the site uses
frames and the page you log on to <index.html> only contains what is known
as the "frameset". Thereafter, all links clicked from the "menu" which is
positioned in the left hand frame open in the right hand frame - the whole
page and menu do not reload every time you click a link - only the frame
that you are viewing in the right hand frame loads and changes. The reason
I did this is that the javascript menu (in the left frame) is fairly big
(Kilobytes) (Currently only about 200 Kbytes but it will grow with time)
and is the slowest loading part of the site - many of our club members (as
well  as others overseas) still have slow connections so this is better for
them as they do not have to wait for the menu to reload every time they
click a link.

         There are many "Pros & Cons" to using frames and what you
mentioned is one of the "cons". If you could copy the link of one of the
content pages and send it to your mate he would arrive directly at that
page but not contained in the "Frameset" and would have no way of looking
at the rest of the site from there. There are "javascripts" available that
will force a visitor coming from such a link to the page to be reloaded
within the frameset but I have not got there yet. It will happen soon.

         One small point however, If you were using a "decent" browser like
Firefox instead of that Microsoft rubbish you would have the option of
right clicking on any particular frame and then viewing only that frame -
then it's easy to bookmark or copy the link to that page :-)   (Also, IE
does not render the colours of our page correctly for some unexplained
reason) Use Firefox it's a million times better :-)

O.K. Now for Bob's answer:
         Hi Bob,
         No it is not because of your older monitor. The page and banner
was designed to look like that with the banner blending into the background
- almost as if it were embossed on a sheet of paper (or a plastered and
painted wall). It is the theme used throughout the site. If you log on
again <www.vaaloldwheels.org.za> and look at the new section in the menu
"Trading Post" /Services you will see more pics done that way.
         It may not be everyone's "cup of tea" but it is different and part
of the general design of the site.
         Thank you for taking the time to reply, that's what I asked people
to do and your answer was appreciated.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>