[SEL] Our club website /follow up. (maybe O.T.)

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sun Feb 7 12:32:55 PST 2010

Hi All,
         A big thank you to everyone who replied to my original post (both
on and off list). Apologies that I have not replied earlier but I've been
pretty busy this last week.

         One problem that was pointed out to me was that the banner on top
was disappearing off the right hand side of the screen when viewed with
monitors set to 1024 x 768 - this was immediately fixed.

         Another BIG THANK YOU to all of those who logged onto the page.
The website stats (not the counter now installed on the front page - the
actual detailed stats provided by our hosting company) showed a marked
increase in "hits" from the time I sent that mail out to the lists which
lasted for about 3 days. The graphs really skyrocketed. When I printed
these out and showed them to the club they earned me many "pats on the
back" and congratulations <big grin>. Many thanks guys and gals. You can
always rely on engine people!

         Also, possibly due to the surge in traffic "Googlebot" and
"Yahoo's Slurper" (these are the automated robot programmes used by Google
and Yahoo) have been hitting the site about 10 times a day - that's great
for a website owner and has to do with your search engine rankings.
Previously they were hitting far less frequently.

         Now for everyone that asked me to include links to their sites. I
have done this and hope I have not left anyone out. If you asked, check the
page again <www.vaaloldwheels.org.za/> and I've forgotten to add yours
please drop me a mail off list and I'll get it done immediately. (I expect
reciprocal links :-). That also goes for anyone else who would like a link
to their site added.

         Talking about links - link pages can sometimes be very boring but
there is a reason why they are important to website owners. Google and
other search engines use the number of external links (That's the number of
links to "your page" that they find on other peoples pages) in determining
your ranking (it may only be a small part of their equation but "every
little bit helps" when you are trying to get better search engine
listings). So if anyone would like to do me a favour then please add links
to both my own site on Oldengine.org  <www.oldengine.org/members/evans/> as
well as our club site <www.vaaloldwheels.org.za/> I would appreciate it.
Drop me an "off list" mail and I'll reciprocate by adding your link to the
above 2 sites. If your "Links" page uses a "pic" let me know and I'll
supply these as well. Many thanks.

         Why are search engine rankings important? Because you can really
impress your mates when you type a string like "Wolseley engine south
africa" into Google's search box and your site comes first in the listings
<Extra big smile> (try it). Or even "Wolseley WD9". It even works in Google
images !!

         O.K. that's all for now. many thanks once again, you are the best.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>