[SEL] Misfortune in Old Engine land.

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sun Dec 19 08:24:18 PST 2010

Sorry all this went to the Oldengine List yesterday but I forgot to cc the
S.E.L. list.

Hi All,
         I've been off the net (and lists) for a few days. We've been
having very heavy rain and flooding here.

         I live next to a small river and it rose to it's highest level in
over 40 years. Fortunately my house and other buildings are high up and not
in any danger of flooding at all. My only damage was a roof that started
leaking and soaked my computer. I just finished fitting a new main board a
few hours ago and am "catching up" on all the list mail.

         My good friend Neville Botha
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/neville/>was not so fortunate. He
lives about 6 or 7 Kms. downstream from me and was flooded out. I and a few
other engine friends spent most of Thursday and Friday trying to move his
possessions to safety. He lives in a split level home and most of his house
as well as his engine museum/showroom is on the higher level and has never
been threatened with flooding since he moved there (more than 40 years ago)
so we concentrated on the lower level.

         Unfortunately, during a few hours on Thursday night the river rose
by about 2.5 metres and entered the top level of his home as well as his
workshops and museum. Most of the smaller engines seen in the above link
were either fully or partially submerged. The larger Rustons and the
Fielding which are mounted on concrete plinths were spared - he also has
various vintage cars but apart from an E Type Jag which was flooded, the
others came off lightly.

         I feel devastated for Neville - his collection has been built up
over a lifetime and is one of the best in South Africa !

         Making matters worse is that Neville injured his knee earlier in
the year and is battling to recover - he has been using crutches for the
last few months (he is well into his 70's). Anyway, both he and his wife
are very positive people and have accepted what has happened very well. I
called in at his place at about midday today and he had already drained all
the oil and water out of his Petters (his passion) and was starting to get
them cleaned up. His son is also helping him and was busy getting the "E"
Type cleaned up
and dry.

         This river only has it's source about 50 Kms north of us but due
to the spread of urbanisation over the last 30 years or so the annual
floods are becoming more severe. There are now more tarred roads and paved
areas in it's catchment area as well as buildings so the rain no longer
gets absorbed by the earth but rather is channelled to this small river.

                 Should anyone want to send a personal message to Neville
and Luann feel free to send it "Off List" to my address and I'll print it
out and give it to them. I am sure he will appreciate this because I always
tell him what great people we have on these lists.

         I did take pictures but  Jacqui is flying on a commemorative
flight for the "Dakota" today and has taken my camera - that was before my
computer was fixed so I could not download the pics. I will do so as soon
as she returns and put  up a page on my site probably in a few hours time.

         Reg should have landed in South Africa by now - strangely, I had
arranged to collect him on the 23rd and take him meet Neville !

         More later friends.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>