[SEL] Austral register December 2010

Patrick Livingstone patrick.livingstone at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 09:50:52 PST 2010

Hi Arnie,
I will probably have to write an article on Austral distribution at some
point. The NSW agents for much of the production period of the sideshaft
engines was Moffat-Virtue who were one of the biggest machinery agents in
NSW (which does border Victoria). In that era NSW & Victoria had the biggest
populations in Australia and (more importantly) had much of the agricultural
wealth. Both states literally 'rode on the sheep's back' with many fortunes
being made shipping wool to the UK. A large number of Australs spent their
working life in shearing sheds.
Ronaldson-Tippett also had agencies in Queensland, South Australia & Western
Australia but they never exported the sideshaft engines as they had a big
enough market at home.
NSW & Victoria also had very good country rail freight networks at that time
(except for the change of gauge at the border) so distribution was very
effective.
Patrick