[SEL] cell phone charging OT

Judge Tommy Turner Lcjudge at scrtc.com
Wed Dec 8 05:34:38 PST 2010

The new phones have a "proprietary" charger.  The older ones will fit
but won't charge the phone. You have to use the new model charger.  I
ran into the same problem with a  phone I got for my son.  We went on a
trip and I took the old auto charger with us but while it fit, it
wouldn't charge the phone.  I went to the local phone store and they
told me only the new Motorola chargers would work even though the outlet
was exactly the same on the old and the new phones.  It's a way to make
you buy an item you didn't think you needed and for Motorola to make
some more $$$$.  The "official" reason behind it was that the mini USB
cable, which fits the Motorola phones, would sometime carry the
incorrect voltage as the mini USB's can be used for a variety of
purposes.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY