[SEL] It's quiet!/Shingle Mill

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Wed Aug 25 09:46:45 PDT 2010

At 06:00 PM 25/08/2010, you wrote:
>Message: 4
>Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:27:38 -0600
>From: "Richard Strobel" <Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] It's quiet!
>To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>
>I guess now is a good time to show off our Chase Shingle Mill.  Close to
>two years have gone into this freshen up job and still needs some
>tweaking.  I have now moved the carriage rollers up two inches and should
>cut an eight inch shingle.  What your seeing is "Blue Ponderosa Pine" and
>not what we'd like..that is cedar or redwood which is way too far
>away.  You'll see the blue show up about half way thru the block or "bolt"
>as it was called.
>   It's been a real joy and hope you enjoy the video also.
>Sorry for the html
>http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3055285890039077051cRBfFc<http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3055285890039077051cRBfFc>
>Best regards...Life is good in "The Big Sky."
>RickinMt.

Hi Rick,
         Hope you are keeping well.

         That's a really great setup. We never used shingles in South
Africa so it's something unique to me - may I ask a few questions?

         i)I do understand that these were used as cladding on buildings
and I assume overlapping each other for water runoff. Were they used on
roofs as well as walls ?

         ii)Those in the video looked very thin (the light shone through
some of them, what is the thickness and did they get any kind of
preservative treatment before being used?

         iii) Are they cut "with the grain" ie. does the grain run
lengthwise on the final product? It would appear the best way but the
reason for my question is that I found it interesting that to do that the
"bolt" would have been a crosscut piece of the log and that itself would
need some pretty impressive machinery to produce.

         iV) Are the "bolts" still readily available from sawmills or is it
a bygone industry?

All for now.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans