[SEL] Linseed oil question.

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Thu Aug 19 12:19:29 PDT 2010

At 06:00 PM 19/08/2010, you wrote:
>Message: 10
>Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 05:23:26 -0400
>From: Dave Merchant <kosh at ncweb.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] Linseed oil question.
>To: The SEL email discussion list <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>
>Sorry to break it to you, but it looks great!
>
>The oil brings out the details that would be hidden by either the original
>rust or paint.
>
>Dave Merchant

Hi Dave, Elden and others who replied,

         Thanks for your positive comments - I've got it standing in the
sun near my office door and it grows on me each day so I'm not totally
unhappy :-)

         One thing that I forgot to mention in my original post was my
reason for using the black stove polish. When I got this engine it's
flywheels were missing (probably went to the scrappie) and being the only
one known to exist in South Africa at the time (another has since surfaced)
I knew that I stood no chance of finding another set of original flywheels
so I fitted the Lister flywheels (they look better than the originals
anyway). The engine had no paint left on it but the flywheels still had a
lot of green as well as some grey primer showing (I don't think that Lister
ever used grey primer) and the stove polish was an attempt at getting the
engine to look the same all over (which it now does).

         All for now, thanks again for the replies.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>