[SEL] Spring Steel

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Apr 1 11:48:19 PDT 2010

Richard Strobel wrote:
> Need some help gang.  How does one cut/form flat plate spring steel?  We
> need one for the dog on the ratchet that advances the bolt of wood on our
> shingle mill.
>
> Pix at;
>
> http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2794526910039077051PBYOMo
>
> "Thanks for looking"
>
> RickinMt.
>
> PS:  Thinking about using the flat stock off an ole putty knife ????

What is the final shape you need?
If the putty knife is one of the super flexible types it should work OK.

Usually you anneal the steel, perform whatever you need to do then heat
treat it back.

BUT to cut it you can use a carbide blade in a saw or a dremel cut off.

To drill it the easy way is to spot anneal using a simple method.
Reverse a drill bit, spin it at high speed then use it to heat the spots
you need to drill. Then drill the hole when it cools. Or you can punch
the holes.

--
Steve W.