[SEL] Calibrating the Lister Injector.

Tony & Jackie kimmell at verizon.net
Sun Sep 27 18:10:05 PDT 2009

The biggest problem with the early ones (1977-81) was the
Roosa-Master injection pumps and lack of any fuel/water
separator.  They would get water in them and the pump would rust
internally, causing timing problems.  That's why you see so many with
broken cranks, pistons, etc.  The pumps would get out of time and the
injectors would fire too early and cause all kind of internal
havoc.  Another weak spot was their use of "torque to yield" head
bolts (stretch bolts).  When the car's would come in with blown head
gaskets, the mechanics would mill the block and re-use the head
bolts, thus ensuring another blown gasket in the near future.  The
final nail in the coffin was their use of flat tappet cams that were
just not up to the heavy duty task of a diesel, and would round off
pretty frequently.  Most of the bugs were worked out with the
introduction of the DX block in 1982 (replacing the original D
block).  The DX block used a heavy duty roller cam, better head
bolts, and they also replaced the crapola Rossa-Master pump with a
Bosch and installed water separators.

It was too late though, as the public had already seen the carnage
caused by the early ones, and wanted nothing to do with them.  They
finally quit offering the option in 1985.  Basically, it was an
engine that should have spent 2-3 more years in the R&D
department.  Once all the bugs were worked out, they were a very
reliable diesel.

Here's a YouTube video of my old '83 Oldsmobile diesel
wagon:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjOo4NYSzh4

Darn, all this talk makes me want to go find another 350 diesel to
tinker with!! ;-)

-Tony