[SEL] Question re tapered gib keys

frank skinner marinesurveys at msn.com
Wed Sep 16 03:54:45 PDT 2009

Brad & the Engine guys;

For years the Tugboat & Shipyead guys { that know of it }

have used Devon Steel Putty as a fix for wobbled out key

ways in propellers & bad tapers on the shafts { as a result of

loose keys}. I my self used it with great success after a huge

clunk going from Fwd to Rev on my tug.

It was a 74" Dia. propeller & a 1 " Key.

Devcon also makes a liquid steel vers the putty version,

for smaller applications with less clearence.

This stuff makes an "OK" fit perfect & a bad fit, just fine.

                 B, Rgds

        Franklin S. Skinner
    Marine Surveyor & Consultant
3428 Talon Court Wilmington NC 28409