[SEL] SEL Digest, Vol 66, Issue 15

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue Sep 15 12:32:35 PDT 2009

At 06:00 PM 15/09/2009, you wrote:
>Message: 18
>Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 08:02:54 +0800
>From: "peter ogborne" <jopeter at omninet.net.au>
>Subject: [SEL] re Question re Tapered Gib Keys
>
>Jerry ,the same problem comes along with Ruston SP engines ,in this case
>there are two of the bloody things .It seems that the shaft wears probably
>the bore of the flywheels as well .The remedy ......sit down and open a
>can of beer ,preferably VB . When you have finished cut your self a piece
>of shim ,using the can and if you can get it into the space between the
>shaft and the flywheel [ may gently wedge the slot to do this]  tighten
>the bolt and you should be OK .Not the ideal solution but apart from a
>major rework of the shaft /bore it is a solution. As you have been advised
>a correct fitting key is an important requirement!.
>PS have you heard from Andy S lately .....he has done a great job on the
>Water Mill ?

Hi Peter,
         Thanks for your answer. I'm not sure what VB is but the cans are
probably the same thickness as "Castle" (The best beer in the world) :-).
         In my original post I did mention "shimstock", it seems that you
Aussies use the same shimstock as we do :-)
         Your answer also will be considered when I get down to sorting out
all the replies I've had to this thread. Thank you very much.
         I am in almost daily contact with Andy - I'm archiving all the
mill stuff on my site (no link yet). What he is doing is really quite
incredible - a real "labour of love".
         Are you on the "Cape Vintage" mailing list, if not then let me
know and I'll get you added.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>