[SEL] Question re tapered gib keys

Kerry ozengine at optusnet.com.au
Mon Sep 14 14:57:06 PDT 2009

G'Day Jerry
Elden beat me to it, they made over 54,000 of them so the system if used
correctly is not the problem, are you sure the key fits nicely into both
keyways (crank and flywheel), there must be no side movement. I have just
finished using JB weld on one side of a badly worn keyway side and it looks
like the end result will work ok, once it is in and every thing is tight
there should be no side movement.
I to would use a little Loktite at least on the key.
don't see why brass shim could not be used under the key, loktite it to the
key.

are you sure the shaft or hub is not worn and does not tighten up correctly
without the key, if the diameters are not correct it will never tighten and
by putting more pressure on the clamping bolt than designed to pull the hub
tighter WILL crack the hub on the keyway side as you first had.

Kerry