[SEL] CAST IRON WELDING

frank skinner marinesurveys at msn.com
Tue Sep 1 05:02:27 PDT 2009

Bill;

Cast Iron welding is not a tuff task, really.

the quality of the weld depends {to an extent on quality of the cast iron

your attempting to weld}

The casting needs to be very clean, the crack "VEE'd" out {almost all the way thru }

The piece pre-heated, a good quality rod used { there many} I like McKay or Lincoln.

Work at lower heat ranges, skip-weld along the break { clamp together} if need be.

Use many beads, chipping & wirebrushing the slag away COMPLETELY  between

each pass.

Note the Piece needs to be uniformly preheated, the hotter the better

{ to a point} not red hot, actually not even to change the color,

but close.

After welding the Piece needs to cool VERY SLOWLY , this can be buried

 in lime, sand, covered with several layers of a welding blanket, the poing is

that the slow cooling will remove a lot of stress from the weld.

After its completely cooled, it can also be further stress relieved with an air needle gun.

Another note;  The bigger the piece { Mass}  the more the above is important,

the smaller it is the less important, also it can be welded in stages to eliminate

the sudden heating of the part. Also it is of advantage to end-stop drill the

cracks as well.

Cast iron welding is like learning to ride a bicycle, you may fall off

a time or two, but once you got, it its easy, by the way cast iron rod

{ the good rods} weld like stainless steel, { like butter} & flow great.

The better the rod, the better the job as well .

www.oldengine.org/members/fskinner

            Best of luck

        Franklin S. Skinner
    Marine Surveyor & Consultant