[SEL] Wico type EK magneto help wanted

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Fri Oct 23 11:52:40 PDT 2009

Rupert,

I haven't seen any replies to this one yet.  The sloppy fit due to wear is a common
problem with the Wico EK mags.  And it definitly will affect performance up to and
including no spark at all.  The two armature arms must pull off the coils at the
same instant with a good SNAP.

You should probably be able to true up the shaft and make a custom bushing that is
just a slip fit.  OTOH, most of the "mag guys" like Mark's Magnetos will do an
exchange of your Wico EK for one that is guarenteed to work (new coils & condenser,
new busing, all in proper adjustment, etc.).  The cost of the new exchange mag isn't
that much.  If your "repair" doesn't do the job, consider doing the mag exchange.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com