[SEL] Valve adjustments

William Young wmlyoung at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 21 05:50:54 PDT 2009

Bill-san, Thank you ( and Elden, too )  for your prompt replies.  I was aware of some of the factors you mentioned about cam design and valve timing,
   Perhaps the following info will be of interest to you.  This moderately old 8hp Kubota engine has 6 in. bore, 8 in. stroke and flywheels of 2 3/4 in, width, 27 3/4 in. diameter so you can see it is no Pygmy.
  This engine will probably never again be called upon to do an honest day's work.  I hope to have it start easily and run smoothly.  Valves set properly should help here but cam lobe design is fixed.  I hope to have different mufflers -- one producing a throaty roar, another a muted whisper and a third, the smoke ring blower.
    Because "Manufacturer's recommendations" are not available, I made this appeal to the SEL crew. Thus far I have mated crank shaft gear and cam gear timing marks, which would be in keeping with mfg's design.  Next, using adjustment on exh. push rod, I set the exh. valve to open about 30 degrees before bdc.  These are "eyeball" degrees, estimated degrees.  I know i could count gear teeth, do some arithmetic and get a closer estimate.  i also know this engine will never be expected to excell or compete in any of the categories you mentioned.   My last option is ( I think ) to make whatever  adjustment I can by playing with intake push rod length.  Can you tell me what  optimum remaining setting I seek to achieve these parameters:  Long engine life;  smooth engine running at lower speeds;  lower operating temperature under "no load" condition?
P.S.  I'm willing to start all over again should you come up with something better  -- no cam grinding, please.  Thanks,  Bill