[SEL] TWO THREADS

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Mon Oct 19 07:15:00 PDT 2009

As a degreed mechanic who has held various certifications on small engine
repair and was an authorized warranty repair person for various brands
back in the 70s - and as a professional auto mechanic - it's pretty easy
to comment on the valve issue.
Valve timing is a science - just ask those who have cams custom ground for
specific needs for performance, etc. There are grinds for performance in
general, for top end performance, and for low-end torque or grunt. There
are grinds for more MPG as well.
Valve timing will vary from engine to engine, maker to maker. You need to
follow the *Manufacturer's recommendations* for the most part, unless you
know what you are doing. Otherwise the side effects can be:
Lower dynamic compression - or even higher dynamic compression (NOT
talking about "static compression)
or
You can shift the power band up or down depending on which way you shift
the valve opening and closing, valve overlap, etc.
You can impact idle - make it so it won't idle worth a crap, or have a
"rough idle".
There's opening angle, closing angle, lobe separation, lift, ramp
acceleration, and more......

Do not second guess them unless you know what the heck you are doing.
Yeah, this applies to antiques as well as modern Honda engines running at
10,000 RPM.

for magnets.....
Vibrations do assist in the "lining up" of the poles on the molecular
structure while charging.
You do need to get as strong a field as possible, a weak charger means the
magnets won't reach their full potential no matter how hard you bang on
them or how long or many times you charge them.
More winds, more power through the windings means more magnetic strength.
This translates into better charged magnets. Yes, a weak lame charger can
charge a dead magnet so it may work, but it won't be good.
Weak magnets mean weak spark.
There's a science to this..... and a lot of very good web sites on this
issue - some of the best ones are AIRCRAFT related...... (wonder why they
are so concerned about good magnet strength?? I don't get that....)
Sort of like auto ignition coils - more power through the windings longer
means the lines of force are stronger, and when the collapse, you get more
output. So you need the strongest magnets you can get - this means you
need a strong charger.

The younger guys are "shade-treers" and didn't pay attention in their
science classes, IMO.