[SEL] Check out Working Cog Railway Steam Locomotive - eBay (item 110442499633 end

Rick Rowlands rowlands1941 at roadrunner.com
Wed Oct 7 10:00:53 PDT 2009

I don't believe that the locomotive and coach actually make contact during
the descent.  My understanding is that the brakeman controls the car and
maintains a small distance between the coach and the locomotive.  The
coach's brakes are doing all its work during the descent.  The locomotive
uses a system whereas the cylinders become air compressors and that
resistance is enough to control the speed of the locomotive.  If the coach's
brakes should fail the locomotive would have the ability to stop the
movement.  It may not sound as if that were possible but its worked for over
a hundred years that way.

Rick