[SEL] Check out Working Cog Railway Steam Locomotive - eBay (item 110442499633 end

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Wed Oct 7 09:41:14 PDT 2009

Shock!

Missy, Devin, and I rode this cog railway many years ago and it is one of
those special memories one never forgets.
The inclined boiler makes the locomotive useless anywhere except on a very
steep grade, such as Mt. Washington for which it was designed.

I'm not sure I buy into the "green" reason for the switch to diesel. I'm
wondering if it is a combination of economics, wildfire risk, and safety.
I'll have to admit to a modicum of concern coming back down the mountain
as the horrid sounding brakes were applied to supplement the steams
engine's reversing efforts that weren't quite doing the job. While that is
all part of the thrill of the ride, I couldn't help but think, if anything
ever happens to the steamer, there isn't enough brake to make a difference
to the inevitability of gravity.

Besides, if they were really "green" they would take the ObamaOpt and use
wind power to power the train up the mountain :-)  There's plenty enough
wind on top of that mountain!!!

If this is inevitable, I wonder why they don't go electric? Regen on the
way back down allows power to be placed back on the grid. The more I think
about this, the less sense this switch from steam to diesel makes.

Saddened that one of the great destinations of the country for the
mechanically inclined is changing.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC