[SEL] Buzz coil repair

Reg Ingold randmingold at hotkey.net.au
Sat Oct 3 22:48:49 PDT 2009

A buzz coil is only a normal primary/ secondary setup, as per the usual auto
thing.
The difference is that the incoming low voltage is interrupted by a set of
low voltage points.
The incoming current activates the core and makes it a magnet. This pulls
the points open and breaks the curcuit. Field collapses, no longer a magnet,
back to start.
So, we get the buzz.
Ok, now to check.the system.
With a meter, check the secondary windings. Earth to plug lead. If you show
continuity, then thats ok.If the needle shows open circuit, its stuffed!
Primary windings should show continuity and almost no resistance.
Again, open circuit, stuffed.
BUT the main part of these setups was the low voltage points.
If they were dirty, corroded, etc. and current could not pass, then the
whole sequence could not happen.
So much so that replacement points were/are available.
Ya gotta come back to simple basics on this.
Then it becomes easy to sort the troubles.
Ok, outa here. Hope what I said helps.
Reg
Reg & Marg Ingold.