[SEL] thoughts on best repair

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Mon Nov 30 13:25:37 PST 2009

Greetings, Mr. Not Dolly.
There are several options, assuming the metal is good quality and not
rusted away.  Because the part is simple in shape, I don't think that
you'll run into problems with stress as a result of uneven cooling.
Modern nickel rod would work and be easy, but the color would be way
off.  Brazing would be a better option, if you can live with a color
mismatch.  If you want a good color match, the best option would be
cast iron rod. For that, I would prefer a an oxy-acetylene torch over
SMAW.  I would try to avoid the MIG or stainless.  You'll be able to
make a strong weld, though, whichever method you choose.

Rob Skinner
Antique Stationary Engines
La Habra, California

rob at rustyiron.com