[SEL] Lister 5-1 progress/ it's first show

Dave Otto ddotto at cableone.net
Fri Nov 27 18:45:04 PST 2009

Nice job Jerry!

She sure looks nice.

Dave

Dave Otto
Boise, Idaho
USA

-----Original Message-----
From: sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com
[mailto:sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com] On Behalf Of Jerry Evans
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2009 2:42 PM
To: stationary-engine at oldengine.org; sel at lists.stationary-engine.com
Subject: [SEL] Lister 5-1 progress/ it's first show

Hi all you great Guys and Girls in engine land,

         Tonight I'm having a few quiet "Brandy & Cokes" by myself in
celebration.

         The Lister 5-1 is finished (O.K. it still needs the radiator leaks
fixed and a trolley).

         About 2 hours ago I got back home after offloading it at my friend
Neville Botha's house in preparation for tomorrows show - "Neville's Open
Day" an important date on our calendar.

         Neville is a great friend and one of South Africa's foremost
collectors and restorers (and probably my mentor in this crazy hobby that
we all share).

         When I found and bought this engine, it was Neville who went with
me to collect and help load it on the 17th August:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/lister51/index.htm>

         I decided at that time that it would have it's first showing at
his annual open day (tomorrow 28th November)and although this may seem like
more than enough time to some list members I am not on the "seven day
weekend" yet so it was quite tight.

         This is my first diesel engine (although I have the 12 HP Witte CD
just waiting to be completed) and I have to say that "I'm thrilled. I've
learnt so much about diesel engines on this project and I absolutely love
this Lister (although maybe not as illustrious as many engines restored and
owned by other list members) this Lister diesel embodies everything that I
love about this hobby:
         a) It runs beautifully - "just thumps away" with a beat that is
breathtaking.

         b) It is historically significant - development began in about
1929 and production only ended in the late 1970's (not counting
"Listeroids"). One of the most successful engines ever produced.

         c) It's "build and design" is typical of how the "Old Guys" built
stuff - big and strong and meant to last a lifetime or more.

         d) It's rugged and tough. These engines were capable of doing
their duty even when badly maintained (unlike todays high performance
engines which need "expert" maintenance and cost "megabucks" to service).

         e) The whole design and operation is simple and basic. Even
someone like me can quite easily learn to maintain and operate one of them
!! (:-)

         Today I sorted out a few problems with the governor linkages
(mostly to do with my own inexperience - like paint on the wrong parts -
and  fitted a new (in this case "weaker") governor spring to allow for
slower running.

         I then ran the engine for about 3 hours with "Barrs Leaks" in a
vain attempt to sort out the radiator leaks. In this time the engine never
missed a beat! Wow - diesel is beautiful. I kept "topping up" the radiator
with hot water while running and also allowed the water level to drop to
below the leaks a few times hoping to get some of those "cork bits" to
reach those lower parts.

         The "Barrs Leaks" closed some of the radiator leaks but there are
still 3 or 4 bad ones. I do realise that these "easy fix" things are not
the answer especially for a system that is "thermo syphon" (no water pump)
but was prepared to try anything at that time.

         "Barrs Leaks" contains chunks of compressed cork in a solution of
soluble oil and it appears that the idea is that once introduced into the
radiator these chunks of cork get stuck in the holes and, as the soluble
oil is dispersed, the cork "bits" absorb water and swell to close the holes
(leaks).

         To my inexperienced brain it would appear as though this would
work quite well (as a temporary fix) in a motor car where there is a water
pump forcing the water (and the "chunks" of cork) to circulate . A thermo
syphon system is quite different - no force applied. To my thinking, this
would result in the chunks of cork (the sealing medium) to just float on
top of the water in the top radiator reservoir and never reach the leaks
lower down - (hot water rises - cold water falls et.al.)

         I did allow the radiator to "leak" to the stage where the water
level was below the holes quite a few times (these Lister engines run very
cold on low revs - so I never allowed the engine to overheat while doing
this,).

         Comments and suggestions from the "Gurus" will be appreciated.

         Another question:
         "Indian Head radiator Cement" (Now made by "Loctite").
Does anyone have any comments as to it's use.
         What I've been able to find out is that this (powder) when added
to a radiator starts to harden when exposed to air. My questions are:
         1) How good is it ?
         2) Can it be used after "Barrs Leaks" ("Barrs Leaks" contains
soluble oil).
         3) Will it work on a "thermo syphon system) ?

         Anyway, Guys and Gals, I'm digressing (as often).

         Tonight I loaded the Lister onto a flat bed pickup and planted it
in Neville's garden for tomorrows "show".

         I'm ecstatic - I made the deadline - the engine is lovely.
Pic here:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/lister51/done1.jpg

database 4641 (20091127) __________

http://www.eset.com