[SEL] Spam> We got smoke !!

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Thu Nov 26 07:40:02 PST 2009

Hi All,
         Although not quite finished we managed to fire up the Lister 5-1
today.

         I still have to fit the radiator shroud (cover) and muffler but
she fired right up today but gave us quite a fright when she raced and the
cutoff would not work. Neville had the presence of mind to hold the
decompressor lever in an she eventually died. Fortunately I had the engine
hitched up to the gantry with a chain hoist just in case something like
this happened so it could not do anything too nasty like fall over or run
away - but it was quite frightening for 30 seconds or so :-)

         We stripped the diesel pump and found that the rack was not in the
right position. Sorted that out and restarted the engine and it ran like a
dream. I have to sort out the governor spring still but that's not difficult.

         The bad news is that the radiator has a few bad leaks - will need
some thought as to what to do about them. Although I spent many hours
cleaning paint and soot out of the radiator as well as getting it clean
inside I never did a leak test.(duh)

         I've put a picture of the engine running here, (without the
radiator shroud in place - that will go on tomorrow):
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/lister51/start1.jpg>

         I still also have to make a trolley for it but that will happen
over the next month or 2. It will go to it's first show on Saturday just on
the angle iron base it is now on but I may just extend it a bit for safety.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>