[SEL] Glenn Karch

paulmaples at sbcglobal.net paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 8 18:53:20 PST 2009

Keith, unfortunately I did not have an engine to start and run in honor of
Glenn as I had none. I honored my friend by stopping what I was doing
Saturday, offer up prayers for Glenn's wife and family and then spend time
thinking of the times I got to see Glenn.

I, like many, enjoyed seeing Glenn at Portland back when I was able to go
and as Arnie as so aptly put it we all enjoyed him being the auctioneer.

Other than these times I dwelled on the time that, my now departed engine
buddy, Bill Miller, and I came to your house. Bill and I spent the night in
your log cabin as the following day we were going to go and pick up a flat
belt driven combination woodworking machine that I had purchased from a
local doctor in Evansville. You and Glenn chose to take time from your
families to take Bill and I around to all of the local engine collectors and
visit with them and see their collections with ouy last stop being at
Glenn's house. I remember how awed I was to see his large collection of
engines and I was busy snapping pictures as fast as I could. It was very
cold that night and ole Bill was about to freeze to death out in Glenn's
metal shed where all of his engines were stored but I was so fascinated with
the collection I hardly noticed the cold. While there I had seen this old
garden tractor that I really wanted and I ask Glenn about it and he
indicated he would sell it but that was as far as it went.

Glenn took us inside of his house and showed us some other interesting
things he collected and made.

After seeing Glenn's collection, you and Glenn took us to the log cabin
restuarant for dinner. It was such a nice time and such a nice visit.

Later I called Glenn and he said he would take a $100 for the old garden
tractor and for me to come and get it. I hooked up a trailer and I drove to
Evansville by myself and drove straight to Glenn's house and he and you help
me load it. It was very hot that day but we got it loaded and I left. To my
recollection this was the last time I ever saw my friend as 2001 was the
last time I ever attended the engine show at Portland.

I still have a special shop towel that Glenn gave me and it is very special
to me as it reminds me of him everytime I see it. I have it stored in a
drawer that I have to oppen each day and it always reminds me of Glenn.

Glenn was a specila person, not only to his wife and family but to hundreds
of others all over the World and he will be missed sorely. My prayers and
thoughs will continue to be with Glenn's family and my prayer will be that
God will grant them the peace that surpasses all understanding.

Paul