[SEL] Theives

Judge Tommy Turner Lcjudge at scrtc.com
Mon May 25 13:17:30 PDT 2009

Kevin,
	There is trespassing statutes in KY that makes trespassing a
criminal offense.
It can be criminal trespass in the first, second or third degree.  For
our old iron purposes, second and third degree criminal trespass would
apply.  If you have your old iron sitting behind a barn (or even just
beside the road on your property for that matter) and someone is there
monkeying with it, they can be held for criminal trespass in the third
degree.  Here is the statute in regards to it:

511.080 Criminal trespass in the third degree.
(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the third degree when he
knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.

	If they have to cross a fence or go into a shed, then they can
be held for criminal trespass in the second degree.  Here is the statute
on it:

511.070 Criminal trespass in the second degree.
(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the second degree when he
knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building or upon premises as
to which notice against trespass is given by fencing or other enclosure.

	Nothing in the law says the property has to be posted for the
the above statutes to apply although it would be a good idea to do so.
In regards to your county atty. And his response, I wouldn't want to say
he is totally incorrect.  You can't charge someone with a misdemeanor
offense in KY unless that person is seen in the act committing the
offense.  They can't be charged because some "thinks" they broke the
law.  If you, or someone, actually sees the person on your property and
is willing to sign a sworn statement to that effect, then something can
be done.

	There is exclusions to the trespassing statutes.  They include
allowing government employees to enter personal property for certain
reasons and allowing land surveyors, when surveying adjoining property,
to enter other properties necessary to perform the survey.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY