[SEL] Dealing Etiquette

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Sun May 24 08:55:37 PDT 2009

Hi All,
  What ever happened to a little trading or dealing etiquette? When I
came into the engine hobby back in the late 70s there was a few
unwritten rules that everyone seemed to follow. #1 was, Never
interrupt a negotiation in progress.
#2 If a price is mutually agreed to the deal is done, neither backed
out both honored the deal. These were amongst the top of the unwritten rules.
Heres what set this question in motion. Friday I was talking to a
fellow that I buy engines from occasionally (Nationally known US
engine parts dealer fellow who shall remain nameless) and he told me
of a engine he got the other day, It was for sale. I asked for a
price and he quoted and after a few minutes of discussion of the
engines condition I accepted the offer he made without dickering the
price. It was a fair price and when a price is fair I do not like to
dicker. Well I got the rug yanked out from under me. Remember he
quoted me the price and I accepted that price. Then he called me
yesterday to say he got a "Better offer then Mine" from another
fellow and he accepted it. Needless to say I was a little browned off
to say the least. First I told him was I had not offered the price
that was agreed to, He had offered the price I accepted.  And that I
had thought the deal closed. He didn't even give me the insulting
courtesy of a call for a second chance.
  Now when I offer someone a price and they accept it, that's it the
sale is complete pending payment in a reasonable time period as they
say. I do not yank the rug out from under them. What ever happened to
integrity in engine dealing? Is everyone just throwing their word and
honor out the window now? Its been getting worse for a few years
now.  Its almost like there is no honor in dealing any more. Like a
mans word means nothing.
  Also these last few years theres a growing problem of people
interrupting a deal in progress to butt in. Used to be the etiquette
was if two people were dealing you stayed out of their negotiating
till the dealing fell thru  then you could start to deal,  Or walk
away if they come to terms. YOU NEVER BUTTED INTO the middle of
negotiations in progress! The other fellow was there first. Did not
matter if you would pay a higher price then was being negotiated!
  What's the matter, Am I wrong now a days. Do I need to throw the
old unwritten rules-integrity out the window and go ruthless?    Mark

For those passed we remember this Memorial Day.

Mark Shulaw
454 Co. Rd. 33
Bluffton, OH. 45817  USA

Frappi at wcoil.com / 419.358.5206  Home / 419.516.2996 Ver. Cell.
Hobby Collector and Dealer in Maytag Multi-Motor Engine parts.
Check out the Maytag Collectors Club web site   www.Maytagclub.com