[SEL] Thieves

Pete Alleman pja at ralph.lafayette.la.us
Sat May 23 06:16:05 PDT 2009

In many states, such as Louisiana, it is legal to use lethal force for
self defense in a situation where "a reasonable person would be in fear
for his life". It doesn't matter what your emotions were at the time;
What is important is what a reasonable person would feel knowing what
you knew at the time. People are not judged by circumstances that they
were not aware of, only what they knew at the time.

The Louisiana castle law goes further and states that it is reasonable
for one to be in fear of his life if someone has invaded his home for
any criminal intent.

The laws are different in every state but similar in many. The laws are
very different in other countries. Try looking at the laws in the U.k.

Pete.