[SEL] OT. Brake fluids

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Thu May 21 01:22:48 PDT 2009

2009/5/19  <curt at rustyiron.com>:
> Peter et al:
> Ah there is the accurate information I was after! I think all the MG brake
> systems used Lockheed parts and I used the amber coloured fluid.
>
> It's sounds as if the general consensus is that rubber compounds and
> glycol based (non-silicone) brake fluids have been standardized and that
> mixing US Prestone brake fluid with Euro Castrol is likely safe today.
>
> Thanks everyone for the replies.
> Curt Holland
> Gastonia, NC

As promised, I had a look at a new brake fluid container this morning,
and it states that is is compatible with or exceeds the requirements
of FMVSS116***   DOT 3 and DOT 4. Synthetic based according to SAE J
1703.

DOT 5 is silicone based and not compatible with any other mineral or
synthetic brake fluids as far as I can find.

*** http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Vehicle%20Safety/Test%20Procedures/Associated%20Files/TP-116-04.pdf

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes