[SEL] OT. Brake fluids

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue May 19 13:06:19 PDT 2009

Listerdiesel wrote:
> 2009/5/18  <curt at rustyiron.com>:
>> Years ago one had to be careful when servicing foreign cars about
>> compatability with brake fluids.
>
> Curt et al:
>
> There were two main sources for brake fluid: Girling and Lockheed, who
> also were the two main brake suppliers to the UK and European makers.
> There was also similar situation with clutch hydraulics.
>
> Castrol produced the Red brake fluid for Girling, and Lockheed
> produced an amber coloured fluid for their own products. Lockheed is a
> trading name for Automotive Products (AP) which also owned Borg & Beck
> and other car-related parts suppliers.
>
> It was not permissible to mix and match the two fluids in those days
> (1950's and 1960's)
>
> Car manufacturers such as GM/Vauxhall and Ford started to supply their
> own parts and fluid for their brake and clutch systems, and eventually
> a universal clutch and brake fluid evolved, which is the current
> situation today. That fluid can be used in any system without
> problems.
>
> I don't know how it affects products in the US regarding the DOT
> standards, I will have a look on a tin when I get a minute.
>
> Peter

If you owned any of the Ford F series over the 1 tons with hydraulic
brakes and hydro-boost you owned that damn Lucas/Girling brake system.

We have that POS on the one Ford F600 we have in the department. If I
ever meet the guy who decided to use that F%&k$d up system on those
trucks I'll beat him over the head with it.....

--
Steve Williams